Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stay-Put Wrap, Holiday Orders and Pedroia's Broken Foot

God Morgon! (Yeah - that means good morning.) Pandora is providing the soundtrack to this morning's entry... station based on Astaire's Putting on the Ritz...currently Cole Porter's Anything Goes. I think I might have to change to a station based on the Headbanger's Ball. I haven't had any caffeine yet and this is going to put me back to sleep.

I'm sticking to my guns - not starting anything new until I get my current projects off the needles. Last week I had six projects going and I've since completed one (Xenocryst), which leaves me with five. My Stay-Put Wrap by Mags Kandis has been sitting quietly on the back burner for a couple weeks while I started a couple new things, but I've put it back in the rotation, and worked on it a bit last night.


Last night I created what will be the beginning of a sleeve. I really like this. The neverending seed stitch gets a little old, but I LOVE this cable and the finished wrap is totally me. This is the only thing I'm going to work on today and tomorrow and my goal is to get 10-12" inches done.


So the holidays are approaching, and that is always a tough time for me. Between knitting gifts, knitting items for other people to give as gifts and (some years - not anymore) knitting things for crafts shows I get way overextended. Last year I was like a crazed lunatic trying to get everything done, so I promised myself it would not happen again. Last week, someone saw a felted bag that I often carry and inquired about me making one for her. I immediately blurted out that she couldn't have it in time for Christmas (2010), but I could get it to her for next Christmas (2011). It's August. Knee jerk reaction much? Sheesh - talk about gun shy. Later that day, I was like, "Ummm, Hols? It's August, you're not working on anything that can't wait, and the bag will take three weeks MAX." So I went back, tried to make it look like I hadn't lost my mind for a minute, and explained that I could take the order.

And finally, I'd like to comment on Dustin Pedroia's broken foot. If there is one thing I know about, it is broken bones in the foot. (I've inserted a photo here for your convenience.) I've had bone surgery on both of my feet. I had an osteotomy (= to cut bone) with shortening of my first metatarsal left (bone #8 on the map) and I've had a bone graft to repair a spiral fracture of my fifth metatarsal right (bone #12 on the map). **NEWS FLASH** They take a long time to heal, and you can't put weight on them. When I broke my foot in 2008, I was totally non weight bearing for FIVE MONTHS before they decided that it wasn't going to heal and we did the bone graft. His navicular bone is broken (bone #3 on the map), which is up closer to the ankle, but I've read that these are also notorious for not healing. What is wrong with the Red Sox medical staff? They didn't make him rest long enough, it didn't heal, he played on it, and now he needs surgery. Is someone going to make him use his crutches NOW?
I need to scram. I have tons of Saturday stuff planned. Have a good day. :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally disagree with your time estimate for one of the felted bags. 3 months????, try 1 year and 3 months maybe!! (or maybe I'm just really really slow.......)

    ReplyDelete