Monday, August 2, 2010

Back from Vacation!

I have a lot to get to this evening, so I'm just going to dive right in. As per usual, my blatherings will come early in the post with plenty of visual aids. I'll finish up with the knitting close to the end.
I've spent the last week in the pacific northwest - specifically Seattle - with a four day vacation within a vacation in Union, Washington. There's not a whole lot going on in Union, Washington, but a very important person has a home right next door to where we were staying...but I'll get to that. One of my dearest friends, S lives in Seattle with her husband, J and son, V. S and I have been friends for about 20 years. She is one of VERY few people who knew me when I was married. In the summer of 1992, S was looking for a room mate, and I realized that I'd rather live with her than my husband, so I left my marriage. That's no joke.
When she picked me up, we headed to Pike Place Market which is a huge Seattle landmark. http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ We had lunch at http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/ which is a lovely french bistro w/ a great view. S had the most spectacular ham and cheese sandwich that I've even seen or tasted in my life. Technically, it was the Croque Madame without the eggs. Trust me - it's almost worth going to Seattle to get the sandwich.

After lunch, we poked around the market for a while. I know she's going to kill me for posting this photo, but I think it's beautiful. Hi S!

The next day we left for http://www.alderbrookresort.com/ which is an hour on the ferry and then an hour drive. It is incredibly beautiful there, and there's not a whole lot to do - which is perfect for me. I'm not one of those hike-up-the-side-of-a-mountain-for-kicks kind of people. I have a bad foot and a vestibular (middle ear/balance) issue that causes me to fall down all the time...but I'll get to that. Let's just say that I'd rather sit in a chaise and read or knit.

We rented a two bedroom cottage and this was basically our view for four days. We were on the Hood Canal looking at the Olympic Mountain Range across the way. Pretty, isn't it? Turns out that the philantropist founder of Microsoft has a summer place right next door. Seriously - right next door. Yes, I have a couple photos of the house but I'm not going to post them here. J said that the Nordstroms have a place up there also.

The first morning we were there we scurried off to yoga/pilates at 8:30, only to see 80's style aerobics when we got over there. We decided to sit near the fire and regroup. Here is the very instant I decided there was no possible way I was going to aerobics.

Obviously this is a photo of a hydrangea. They were all over the place, and the colors were unbelievable. Aren't these pictures great? I'm glad I took so many because I no longer have a camera...but I'll get to that too.



The second day we were there, J joined us, and this is my buddy V while we were waiting for his daddy to get there. Clearly, he's a cutie-patootie.


So this is "glamping" dinner. A lovely salad of mixed greens and chicken salad which S made supplemented by caprese salad and asparagus a la room service. (Yes, glamping is glamour camping.)


So the next day after not doing a whole lot, we decided to rent a pedal boat and go cruise around. S had taken V out the day before while I was at the spa, and I thought a little exercise might be a good thing after lunch. This is V running down the pier in search of our pedal boat.
Here he is with the pedal boat guy - picking out what they thought was a good one. I should mention that the photo of the vendor, V and the pedal boat was the last photo ever taken with my camera. You're thinking that the camera fell in the water, aren't you? No, because then how would I have the photos? Guess again. Anybody who talks to me even fairly often knows that I fall down all the time. Generally I fall down the stairs at home, but since I was on vacation, I thought I'd make a complete fool of myself by tripping over a gap in the dock and hitting the non-skid deck on all fours. Not only did I put the worst scape on my knees in 40 years, I also landed on my camera. S said she thought I was going to jump right back up until she saw my knees; I left plenty of DNA (in the form of skin) on the deck in case they decide to clone me.
About the time I climbed into the pedal boat I realized the camera was destroyed. That probably made me madder than anything, but the pedling experience in itself wasn't anything to write home about. J and V sat in the back facing out while S and I (with the banged up and bleeding knees) worked the pedals. Unfortunately there was more weight in the back than in the front, so the paddles weren't in the water...and our passengers were sitting in water nearly up to their waists. After about 20 minutes of a lot of pedaling without much reward, we headed back into the dock. If I could take back a half an hour, that's probably the one I would pick. We actually paid money to do that.
Now I try to be a glass-half-full kind of gal, so here's the upside: Munchie knocked my camera off my desk a couple days before I left for Seattle and broke it. The part that held the batteries and memory stick thing wouldn't stay closed, so I had to use half a roll of duct tape to make the camera even functional. I didn't have time to buy a new camera before I left, so it was the broken one that I fell on. Can you imagine if I had replaced it and then broke it four days later? There would NEVER have been another photo on this blog.
And finally...since this IS a knitting blog (for the most part) I will now present the knitting project I worked on from the day we got up to Alderwood 'till Saturday when I left to come home. I cut it close, but was able to finish. V has a Clover Wonder Knitter, which is a plastic four-peg knitting nancy. Using red solid and multi colored cotton yarns held together, I knit probably forty feet of i-cord and then turned it into a lovely rug which is a little larger than an average chair pad. It took what seemed like forever to sew the thing up, but V loved it! He's going to put it in his room and wipe his feet on it. Awesome.
The last thing I want to talk about is how pleased I am that people are actually following this blog. I thought the same four people were reading it each week, but it turns out that there are actually five! Ha! Just kidding. There are REALLY more than five people. Who knew?? Blogger knew, that's who! They just started publishing analytics, so I can see how many people read me and the countries in which they live. Welcome! Stop by anytime and I'll try not to bore you to death. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment