Sunday, January 24, 2010

Saturday = Knit all Day

Yesterday was a great day. D, B and I had made plans to go to IKEA b/c I need to create some semblance of organization in the spare room that is becoming the yarn room. I was hoping to find some shelves or a bookcase, but I came home with neither. I DID grab a couple clear lidded bins, covered boxes, and those containers that are used to house a year or two of periodicals - in my case the last few years of Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting. The items will all go in/on the shelving once I decide what I want. Once I sign off here, I'm headed into that room to do a little work. On the way back from Stoughton we stopped at The Stitch House in Dorchester (Columbia Road exit off Southeast Expressway). I was aware the store was there, but I'd never been there before. It was a very nice store - half is dedicated to sewing (there was a class going on while we were there) and half the store is a yarn shop (where they were running what appeared to be a beginners knitting class). We ran into a woman who we saw two weeks ago up at Yarns in the Farms in Beverly Farms. Knitters live in a parallel universe, I swear. What do we do on the weekends? Go to yarn stores. If there was not a speck of food in this house, I would choose a yarn store over a grocery store 9 times out of 10. The 1 time out of 10 would be for when I'm out of kitty litter.
I had a chance to meet the owner, Annissa, and she was great. They had a sample of Classic Elite's Aspen Capelet in Cleckheaton Gusto 10. http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/popup.php?i=/dadabik/uploads/AspenCapeletLg.jpg I don't go in much for shrugs and capelets, but I LOVE cowls. I was able to restrain myself enough to just buy the pattern book and enough yarn for this one project. In a shocking twist of fate, I went with the turquoise; I just can't help myself. After our trip to The Stitch House, we went back to D's loft where we had pizza and knitted while watching Weeds for the next six hours. It's fair to say that a good time was had by all.
So here is my cowl in progress. The pattern calls for size 17 needles, but I used size 15 b/c it's only going around my neck, not my shoulders. This was an incredibly quick knit, and they they say it's an intermediate pattern, but I'm going to have to cast a vote for easy. I will have this done by the end of today.













This just reminded me that there is a new version of Emma on Masterpiece Classic tonight.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/
The last two versions were both done in '95 or '96 - one starred Kate Beckinsale and one starred Gwenyth Paltrow. The Beckinsale version kicked the crap out of the Paltrow version. (I'm all about Jane Austen, but I can't even watch it. Paltrow, Ewan McGregor, Jeremy Northam, Toni Collette. Sucked.) Tonight's version stars Johnny Lee Miller as Knightly. He played Edmund Bertram in the '99 version of Mansfield Park. He seems a little young for Knightly, but let's see how he does.
I finished painting my dark green bedroom, and now need to find a new room mate to live there. The color doesn't photograph perfectly, but you get the idea. Taupe/Sage Green.















I have to shoot a quick thanks out to my sister H and my friend HG. Each of them sent me something in the mail this week, and I LOVE to get presents in the mail. Thanks a lot, you guys! The other item I received in the mail this week was my ticket to see Henry Rollins March 17th. I bought my ticket Dec 1st about five minutes after they were pre-released to the "fan club". He's at the Somerville Theater and I'm in the third row. Psyched. Unfortunately, I'm being sent to a conference in Chicago that starts at 8AM, March 18th which will prevent me from going to the concert. Not psyched. It's just wrong.
I'll post the cowl later today when I get it finished. I need to get a move on...

No comments:

Post a Comment