Thursday, October 14, 2010

Knitting Weekend...Too Many Pictures!

We were in Keene Valley, NY (Adirondacks) for the long weekend. It is so beautiful there, and the weather was amazing the entire time. We were there last year over Columbus Day weekend also, but next year we're going here: http://www.tenutasantopietro.com/










So this is the stuff I took for four days and three nights. Trust me - I basically wore the same clothes. It's all yarn.







In case we didn't bring enough yarn, there was plenty there for us to buy. It's very important to have options, and believe it or not, people forgot things and needed to swing by the "shop" on the piano.



This is a yarn bomb left over from last year's mischief. Over the kitchen sink looking out to the porch. There was another item hanging from the fireplace mantle. The other 10 or so had been removed (including the wrap job I did on one of the floor lamps). We did not bomb the house this year. I'm sure the family is relieved.

The first class was on beaded buttons for necklaces. Unfortunately for me, this was based on a crochet skillset which I don't possess. Plus I'm left handed and the class was being taught in right. I almost bagged it early on, but I stuck it out and did okay.





Here is my bead/button mostly done. I need to try to make another one before I forget how to do it. Obviously, once you learn to do it you don't use blue beads on white thread, but you need contrast to see what you're doing initially.



Here is J sharing the history of knitting in the Adirondacks. It seems that the bulk of the knitting was done by men at one time, and so it came as no surprise that they needed giant needles to do it.




Here is me getting ready to give the giant needles a whirl. Only one of them has a sharp point, so I only did one row.
I recently finished reading No Idle Hands - The Social History of American Knitting by Anne L. MacDonald. Although it's an interesting story, I really don't think there was a huge men's knitting industry in the Adirondacks at any time in the last few hundred years.
(If anyone knows a straight guy who knits, send him over. I'd like to talk to him.)









Cairn.












Birds nests, obviously.








It's hard to keep the days straight because we totally lost track of time. There is no TV, cell phone service or internet, so I just shut off my BlackBerry. That in itself is the strangest thing. There was no set schedule so if people wanted to take a class, they did. If people wanted to go hiking, they did. If people wanted to go to the farmer's market, they did. Here are my farmer's market pics.




Apparently this is what beets are SUPPOSED to look like. As I've mentioned, mine were a complete failure this year. (Side note: My cherry tomatoes are going crazy. It is the middle of October! What's up with that? How long do they go? First frost? Anyone?)






Nice Fall pic. Mums and pumpkins.







I think they over-do it on the kitch a bit, but we WERE in the Adirondacks. I bought a couple home made jellys (raspberry and hot pepper), some maple syrup and the basket I posted yesterday.


On the way home from the market, we came across three deer. They didn't run away, so we got out of the car and took pictures. Two of them just stared at me while I took about 8 shots. Amazing.




The last class I took was on Dorset Buttons shown on left. They are really cool and I always wanted to learn how to make them. To see some unbelievable specimens, check this out.




Here's me working on mine. I didn't get a pic once it was finished, but it turned out well for my first attempt.





So I think that's it for pictures. Blogger is bugging me. It's a total pain to post a lot of photos, and today I've put up 17. I took about 350 over the course of the weekend, so it's hard to pick the ones to show. The last full day we were there, we did photos for what may or may not become The Naked Knitting Calendar and Notecards. If it comes to fruition, I'll be sure to post a link. (Don't hold your collective breath on that one.) After looking at shots of my 47 year old bod stretched out on a stone wall wearing nothing but a strategically placed lace shawl, I had to come to terms with the fact that the 27 year old woman I THINK I am caught the last train out quite some time ago and I don't think she's coming back.
Alright, enough of this. I have pics on all the progress I made while I was away, so I'll try to get it up over the weekend. My old room mate, G, who moved out last November is moving back in on November 1st. I had given the yarn her old bedroom, so now I have to move the yarn elsewhere. I have a couple free hours before Project Runway, so I'm going to shovel out the other spare room. Wish me luck. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment