Thursday, September 9, 2010

Greetings from Lake Tahoe!

I'm staying in Tahoe Vista actually, which is on the north shore. Here's the view from my mother's room. Not too shabby. We're taking a paddle boat cruise to Emerald Bay today, but we spent the first two days we were here touring around in the car. After arriving on Monday, we drove all around the lake on Tuesday with scenic stops along the way. Yesterday we drove up to Graeagle and drove back down through Tahoe National Forest making stops at some small lakes along the way for photo ops. While up in Graeagle, we made a stop at Woolly Notions, owned by Victoria Williams. http://woollynotion.com/ I had been in her shop in May 2009, and she remembered exactly who I was which was pretty cool (live in Boston...ran out of Malabrigo on the plane- although it was actually Manos, but still). Stop in if you're ever in the neighborhood; she's super nice and carries a very nice selection of yarn. We were really high up, and it was freezing up there.



I'd like to take a second to introduce my new boyfriend, Takoda. Because I'm low man on the totem pole, I've spent the last two days in the backseat with him. At one point yesterday, he was sitting so close to me that I could feel his breath on my neck. H said, "He likes you, Hol!" Yeah, that might be true, but does he have to sit right ON me? Although we've seen some incredible scenery, it will be good to be out of the car today.

I was able to finish the Xenocryst hat by Linda Shelhamer in baby alpaca, which I was making for H on the plane ride out here. It turned out great - I really love this pattern. It is a multiple of seven stitches and a four row repeat so it's easy to memorize, and small enough that you can carry it anywhere. The rib/cable is just beautiful when it is stretched. I've made two for gifts, but I'm making one for myself as soon as I have a free week when I'm not working on five other things.
And speaking of five other things, yesterday while in the car, I cast on the sleeves for Cecily Glowik MacDonald's Cable and Lace
Pullover in Dream in Color Groovy - Burmuda Teal. This one has been snoozing since about March. The back is done and the front is about 2/3 done, so I can get the sleeves done while I'm out here and get this thing wrapped up in the next couple weeks. It was a holiday gift from LAST year, so I have to get it done before it gets cold. My friend J recently asked for a status and I felt like a total jerk.






Okay - We're running out the door to catch a boat. We're headed home tomorrow, so I doubt I'll check in again before Sunday. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment