Saturday, November 7, 2009

MORE new projects...

It is possible that I've bit off more than I can chew. My own projects (two sweaters...one actually ON the needles) are on hiatus while I bang out my holiday commitments. I'm doing two hat/scarf sets for the grand daughters of my friend J, which will coordinate with their new Christmas Uggs.
It really will be too cute. Anyway, I was able to finish one of the scarves in four evenings this week. The hats will go much quicker thankfully, but it's still a four part project. Check out the completed scarf - I actually designed it (clearly not too tough) and I'm calling the pattern "Ugg Matching Little Lady's Scarf". It's done in Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted in color Grey Heather.
I picked up some Rowan Lima last weekend, and I'm working on a scarf that I started for another friend (sorority sister J) LAST winter. I started various patterns in various colors and weights of yarn, but I was really unhappy with the results, so I just kept froggin'. I finally have a keeper. The pattern is Tanis Gray's Lace Afghan, with just two pattern repeats to make it the perfect scarf width.
I loved this pattern when I did the afghan, and I love it as a scarf as well. Fun and easy to knit, plus it moves along pretty quickly. Rowan Lima is such a yummy yarn that I can hardly stand it: 84% baby alpaca, 8% merino wool and 8% nylon, and the color is a brown/purple heather. Gorgeous. I'd love a sweater in this stuff, but I'd have to take a second mortgage on the house. I might knit myself the same scarf in a midnight blue at some point after the holidays. Or maybe in a gray to match MY Uggs.
When I get these done, I need to do a quick French Market Bag that my mother is giving to her friend J for Christmas. Is it my imagination or does everyone's name start with J? I haven't even picked up the wool for that one, but it's going to be Cascade 220 in either gray or brown with bold stripes of jewel tones breaking up the neutral.
Now that it's November, I'll be doing a quick plug each week for the Boston Living Center. I've volunteered to serve Thanksgiving Dinner, and as part of my commitment, I have to raise $200 for the center, which is dedicated to improving the lives of people in and around Boston who are living with HIV/AIDS. I found out about the Center when I donated a ton of yarn and knitting needles after I couldn't sell them at my ill-fated yard sale Labor Day weekend. I don't celebrate holidays anymore, so I thought I'd do my part to make someone else's day special. I've set my personal goal at $500, and would ask that you check out the Center's website and sponsor me if you can. http://www.firstgiving.com/hollymartinson Thanks so much! Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Do not you totally love the LIMA? I am ready to put together my cardie!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete