Saturday, February 20, 2010

I think I'll go to a toe-up sock class today...

...but first I'll talk about how I reached that decision. The soundtrack for this morning's blog will be provided by Pandora Radio where I've created a Herman's Hermits station. Groovy, Man. It's Saturday, and in keeping with tradition, I was up at the crack of dawn. The first plane left Logan at 5:53A, which is eight minutes late. I doubt anyone noticed besides me, the air traffic controllers, and the lobsters headed out to the west coast where they will become someone's dinner this evening. (But I thought I'd mention it anyway.) Since there wasn't much food in the house and I can only bear to go for groceries when the rest of the population is home asleep, I set off for Chelsea at 6:45. Remarkably, there were plenty of people at the store when I got there. While waiting at the deli, I saw a man I thought I recognized (looking at me), but at 7:05 on Saturday AM (and on my third day sans caffeine) I couldn't for the life of me place him. It came to me about 15 minutes later in produce: he fixed my computer last summer when I caught a scorching social networking virus on Facebook. Unfortunately he got the lights-are-on-but-Holly's-not-at-home stare, and there's not much I can do about it now.

So I've been a litttle scattered lately. I'm over tired, and I can't seem to complete any of my projects. I knit and tink (unknit, stitch by stitch) and re-knit and rip out. I'm stuck. Last weekend, my dear friend Tink (at Yarns in the Farms) taught me a new way to purl. (I throw. It was how I learned, and although it is comparatively inefficient, I'm pretty speedy at it.) Learning a new stitch was pretty cool; I came home and practiced it, and now it is firmly established in the repertoire. My friend D took a magic loop class a couple weeks ago and is taking a toe-up sock class today. I'm thinking maybe I just need to learn a new technique and this would work. I just have to find a pattern, which shouldn't be too difficult.
All I had to do was check the bookcase to realize finding a toe- up pattern won't be hard at all. Duh. I knew I had sock yarn, so I headed up to the attic to poke around.

This is my yarn stash. There are many like it, but this one is mine. I should mention that this isn't the whole thing, but this is the mostly organized part. No yarn for current projects or recent purchases have been banished to the attic. There are two bins keeping me company right now, and technically, the yarn doesn't belong in the office.






Okay, so this is what I decided on for today's sock class. REGIA Galaxy. I liked it more when I bought it than I do now, but it's not doing me any good sitting upstairs.




This is enough yarn for two pair, but my goal is more realistic: TWO SOCKS. I suffer from one finished sock syndrome, but I'm hoping to get psyched enough to bang out a full set. If I get really interested in socks, I'll learn how to knit 2 at a time (but I probably won't since I go barefoot year round). The plan is to hit the class, then come back here for a knitting/Weeds marathon. I bought stuff for guacamole, so that's probably dinner. I'll put up pictures of my socks in progress tomorrow. I knew I wouldn't actually do my taxes today...

1 comment:

  1. Hooray - another posting! I'm always losing socks so if you want to add me to the list of those in need......Hil

    ReplyDelete