Saturday, July 10, 2010

New Books, New Yarn and Hot Flashes...

Did you ever fall asleep in the late afternoon, then wake up in the early evening not knowing what day it is? I mean is it 8PM on Saturday or 8AM on Sunday?? And why isn't my brain able to process this very important question? It was the light - the light wasn't right for 8AM - even taking the thunderstorms into consideration, plus America's Funniest Home Videos was on when I woke up (Oh - the humanity!) and I don't think Tom Bergeron does 8AM. Did you know he's from Massachusetts? Yeah... I remember when he was here. Anyway, I'm exhausted. I can't sleep to save my ass. My life as I knew it has been decimated by hot flashes. No kidding. I am a walking, talking hot flash. Since March, I've been on a diet VERY heavy in soy protein - like over 70 grams/day. Soy in high doses mimics estrogen, so for three months I tricked my body into thinking it was young and happening. The joke's on me. My bod came back with, "Exactly who do you think you're dealing with? Your eggs are cooked and there's nothing you can do about it." Now I'm back to where I started, with both friends and strangers looking at me in horror - asking if I'm okay as I overheat, melt and nearly pass out in front of them - damp and freezing five minutes later.

The July 4th holiday has come and gone since my last entry. Everyone was home, which was cool. My sister H liked my bulky sweater, so I gave it to her. Maybe she'll let me wear it when I'm in Tahoe in the fall...





No trip home is complete without a trek to Freeport, and while there, I picked up a few knitting books at Sherman's Bookstore (which I need like another hole in my head). I've been meaning to pick up Knit 2 Together for a while; there's a shrug in there that I want to make but I don't think I'll do that now. I've been trying to decide what to do next. I want to start something kind of meaty, but it has been so hot that I can't deal with a ton of wool draped across my lap. I keep looking through pattern books, and keep coming back to the Janis Joplin coat by Jill Stover. This one I won't give away to one of my sisters. It's for me, and I can wear it in the fall. Tomorrow D, B and I are going down to Pawtucket to see the PSox play. (Beckett has a rehab start, which is crazy lucky for us!) D will probably drive, so I can spend some time either thinking about what to cast on, or actually casting on Janis. We'll see.

When I was in my room a few minutes ago, there was a commercial on with a guy named Dr. Richard Bock. He was saying, "Are you or is someone you know addicted to Narcotics?" I thought, hmm - I'm addicted to yarn. I wonder if there's a program for that. I bought some new yarn today, but I'll get to that in a minute. I'm really diggin' the fact that I organized the stash last week and put it all up on Ravelry. Today while I was out and about, I was looking at a pattern that called for 19 hanks of Berroco Softwist. I know I have some b/c I just inventoried it, but do I have 19 hanks?? I take out my handy BlackBerry, sign on to Ravelry and look at my stash, which has 22 hanks of Softwist - plenty to make the sweater in question. Wow. If I'm not careful - I'm going to come off as organized.

Today I bought some Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk Aran for a specific project, and some Noro Retro which is headed to the stash. The Alpaca Silk Aran is just sick. It is so gorgeous that I just want to hold it against my face. I'm not sure what to do w/ the Noro. I'm not a Noro lover, but maybe I'll like it once I work w/ it. Everyone else seems to like it. The only reason I like the Retro is because it is solid in Color. All the color variation in the Noro yarns bug me. I mean seriously, if you are buying yarn because of the blue/green/gray variegation, do you want to suddenly run into a big blob of orange? I don't. Anyway, the color is greener than it looks in the picture to the left.
I'm going to sign off. It's almost 11P and I need to go to sleep. Hopefully I'll get some cool shots of Josh Beckett tomorrow, which I'll post next time. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment