Sunday, December 6, 2009

Too much to do...so I'll blog.

First I need to welcome the newest member of my readership: HG. H - I never mention anyone by name, so you don't have to worry about me blowing your cover. I think most of my readership consists of lurkers, but when I'm made aware of someone who reads my blatherings, I like to welcome them officially.
On to the above mentioned blatherings: I hate the holidays. It's really been a life-long thing; I've hated christmas (which I no longer celebrate) since I was a kid. The fact that I was named after a christmas plant is just sick irony. (Mother, try not to take it personally.) The problem is that there is so much to do during this time of year. I have so many knitting commitments and my knitting time is taken up by holiday related get togethers and such - which I'd rather skip anyway. There's just not enough time in the day. So it snowed last night - I was over at my friend D's for dinner, movies and knitting then drove home in horrible weather. As it was the first snowfall, I don't think Chelsea, East Boston or Winthrop had given thought to who was actually going to salt the roads (or maybe they can't afford the salt), so they left them a complete mess. The fact that the snow actually stuck - looks like about 2-3" out there now, but melting - will insure that I don't step outside today. I will do chores instead. I'm still working on the green bedroom, and I'm almost ready to prime the walls.













I'll finish the sanding, wipe everything down and prime as soon as I finish this play by play. I'm just procrastinating.
This week on Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel, I saw a story on a NYC firefighter named Matt Long. I think he must be the most amazing and inspirational guy on the planet. Check him out. http://www.iwillfoundation.com/ For those of you who don't know, my left foot has a collection of deformities. Technically, they include a (surgically) shortened first metatarsal w/ a 28 degree defect, a great joint with limited extension and no flexion, and second and third metatarsals that suffer from stress reactions as a result of bearing weight when they weren't designed to do so. My foot is a giant pain in my ass. Back to Matt Long: he was a NYC fireman and Ironman triathlete who, in 2004 or 2005, was run over by a bus and completely impaled by his bicycle. He was in the hospital for five months and in a wheelchair for eight months in REALLY bad shape. He is full of rods, screws and plates. His ankle on one side and toes on the other foot are completely frozen. One leg is an inch shorter than the other, and he can barely raise one of his arms over his head. This guy went on to complete the Ironman in Lake Placid earlier this year. He is astonishing. I knew a triathlete when I first got out of college, and his training regimen was unbelievable. I cannot imagine what Matt put his broken body through to prepare for his race. Mr. Long sent me a wake-up call via Bryant Gumbel: Stop whining. So what if I can't wear cute girly shoes, I can't hold the clutch in, I can't stand on my feet very long and my friends and family call me Franken-foot? I need to focus on things I CAN do instead of things I can't do, and get my shape back into decent shape. If you get a chance to see Real Sports this month on HBO, watch it.

I was going to talk about the Swedish Yuletide Festival I went to yesterday, but this entry is getting too long. I cast on the second of my little girl Ugg matching scarves this week. It is exactly like the first one, but for those of you who don't remember:

The other thing I'm working on is the duplicate stitched Red Sox "B" on my nephew's hat. I'm headed down to Charlotte on Friday, so it needs to be done by the time I get there. This is the first time I've done anything with duplicate stitch, and I hate it. What an incredible pain in the ass! I will never embroider anything on a knitted garment again. Sheesh. Finally a knitting skill I DON'T want to learn. I'll take cables and lace any day.
Alright. Without any further ado, I must get back to the power sander. Cough, cough. Did I mention that I can't find my respirator? Figures. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment