Saturday, December 19, 2009

Holiday Parties and Nut Brittle

Sadly, there hasn't been a whole lot of knitting in my life the last three weeks or so. I'm trying to get the last of my commitments finished - I have one more little girl's hat and two pom-poms to do and I'm basically done. (I should mention that I'm pom-pom challenged. I don't make them often enough to ever nail them on the first try.) The last thing I have hanging over my head is a sweater, and the recipient isn't expecting it until the end of January.
Today I'm off to (high) tea at the Taj Hotel in Boston at noon. Immediately afterward, I'm supposed to head down to Attleboro for an open house, but with a foot of snow coming, I might pass on that one. In case I do go, I just whipped up a batch of nut brittle.
It is looking a little foamy b/c I JUST poured it out of the pan, and it's still about 175 degrees. Once it cools, it will look normal. I make mine w/ pecans and almonds b/c I think peanuts are boring. I don't bake, but I do crank out nut brittle at the holidays if I need a hostess gift. It's extraordinary if I do say so myself. If I ever lose my job, I think I'll make this stuff professionally. Kidding. It's kind of a pain in the ass b/c I have to stand there and stir it constantly between 250 and 290 degrees while screaming at Munchie to get off the counter and stay away from the butter.
Well, it is 10AM, and I need to be at the Taj at 11:45 so I need to scram. At some point I'll get back to talking about knitting. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment