Friday, May 7, 2010

Last post before vacation...

I should be packing - or at least pulling my knitting projects together for the trip. It is Friday evening and I'm not flying out until Monday so I still have a couple days. Unfortunately I have more than a couple days worth of stuff to do. I should begin with a list. Yeah, that might help to point me in the right direction, so I probably won't make one.

Today's topics: My garden, my current WIP, and I'll finish up with the projects that are probably going to get the nod to accompany me across this great land of ours.
This first picture was taken from my back deck the first time I noticed that my radishes had sprouted.
The second photo is the radishes close up. If there is a reader out there who is a true gardener, please feel free to comment - something like "Hols - your radishes need to be thinned out", would be appropriate.
This third photo shows my beet sprouts! I didn't even see them until I put my nose about six inches from the dirt. See the red in the lower right corner?? That's BEET! It is actually kind of funny that I'm growing beets. I haven't had one since I was a child because they literally made me gag. The only ones I ever had growing up came in a can, and they were so completely disgusting that I could hardly bear it. I've heard from people that fresh beets are awesome, and if I succeed at growing them myself, I'll be so proud that I'll eat them even if I hate them (which I don't think I will). The swiss chard is also coming up and the sprouts look just like the beets. The seeds looked similar too. Maybe they're related.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've started the Jubilee Scarf, which is a Berroco pattern by Norah Gaughan. The first photo was taken with a flash and the yarn color is truer, but the lace detail isn't visible. I shut the flash off for the second shot so the detail can be seen but the color is washed out. Apparently, I can't have it both ways.
I decided to use Louisa Harding Mulberry in Silver (02) but when I finished my first 50 grams, I realized that I was not going to have nearly enough. Yes, it's the first time in history that I didn't buy the entire stock of a yarn I liked just to be on the safe side. It won't happen again. I asked Annissa at the Stitch House in Dorchester (MA) if she had any more, and then my friend B actually ran in there tonight on her way home from work to check for me. No such luck. I was sure this scarf-in-progress was going to be getting the frog treatment, but B GENEROUSLY offered to let me have some of the 02 from her personal stash. Looks like this one is coming with me on vacation.
And speaking of projects that get to go on vacation, here is hopefully the last photo of Twirly in its unfinished state.
The next time you see this albatross it will be off the needles and hanging from my waist. For those of you who have never seen this before, it is Tink's Twirly Skirt by Jill Stover, knit in Louet Euroflax. This skirt lives in Mass, but has visited Maine, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York and will be going to Indiana and Nevada next week. Can you imagine the exciting life it will have when it's actually finished?? I can't even think about it. I'm thinking I might take the Cinquefoil hat by Mary Jane Mucklestone in elann peruvian baby cashmere.
And then there's always the Bella's mittens by Marielle Henault. So many choices. So many yarns and needles to pack. I went up to the attic to get the BIG suitcase. Look out!
So Monday I'm having the drill work to make crowns for my two most rear lower right teeth. I am then immediately getting on a plane to Indianapolis (How do you think that flight will be??) I'm staying in Selma, Indiana until Thursday afternoon when I fly to Las Vegas until Sunday. I'll take tons of pictures and share the most interesting, however I won't take the camera to the dentist. I'll let you imagine the dental work. See you when I get back!

1 comment: